WITB for Viktor Hovland at the 2023 Memorial Tournament – he’s mostly Ping throughout. Hovland, battling from 4 strokes behind on a very tough Muirfield Village course, he bested Round 3 leaders Rory McIlroy, Si Woo Kim and David Lipsky. He also held off FedEx Cup runner up and #1 in the World Golf Ranking – Scottie Scheffler. And, with birdie on 17 and par on 18, he secured the tie with Denny McCarthy who bogeyed 18 to force the playoff. Hovland’s par on the 18th hole playoff, finalized his first win on US soil and 4th PGA Tour win. Clearly, the renewed strategy (fueled by stats) to play for the “fatter part of the green” paid off – sometimes pars win.
Winning WITB for Viktor Hovland, 2023 Memorial Tournament
- Driver: Ping G425 LST 9 degree with the Fujikura Speeder 661 TR X shaft.
- Fairways: TaylorMade Stealth Plus 15 degree 3-wood with a Fujikura Ventus Blue 7 X shaft. And a Ping G430 Max 20.5 degree 7-wood with a Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 8 X shaft.
When Ping released the G430 series, most PGA Tour and LPGA Tour players jumped at the advancements in technology. Ping’s G430 series woods are designed to deliver more accurate and longer distances. The new face design increases face-flexing to achieve that added distance more consistently. Also, the Carbonfly Wrap technology positions the CG (center of gravity) closer to the force line to increase ball speed and spin.
- Irons: The Ping i210 4-iron through PW with the KBS Tour-V 120 X shaft.
- Wedges: Ping Glide 4.0 50- and 56-degree with the KBS Tour-V 120 X shaft. And, a Ping Glide 2.0 60-degree wedge with a True Temper Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400 shaft.
- Putter: Ping PLD DS 72 prototype