WITB: Viktor Hovland, 2023 BMW Championship winner, makes big run with his mixed bag of Ping, TaylorMade and Titleist. For the BMW Championship, Hovland added the Titleist U505 Utility 3-iron to his bag in place of his Ping G430 Max 7-wood. Hovland was #1 in driving accuracy, hitting nearly 77% of fairways in regulation averaging 306 yards. With his precision off the tee, and final round -9 under par, Hovland overcame a 4 stoke deficit to Matt Fitzpatrick and Scottie Scheffler. The score of 61 is also the lowest final round score of the 2022-23 PGA Tour season. This is also Hovland’s first win since the 2023 Memorial Tournament.
Winning WITB for Viktor Hovland, 2023 BMW Champion
- Driver: Ping G425 LST 9 degree with the Fujikura Speeder 661 TR X shaft.
- Fairways: TaylorMade Stealth Plus 15 degree 3-wood with a Fujikura Ventus Blue 7 X shaft.
- Irons: The Titleist U505 utility 3-iron with a Graphite Design Tour AD DI Hybrid 85 X shaft. And, Ping i210 4-iron through PW with the KBS Tour-V 120 X shaft.
- Wedges: Ping Glide 4.0 50- and 56-degree with the KBS Tour-V 120 X shaft. And, a Ping Glide 2.0 60-degree wedge with a True Temper Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400 shaft.
Consistent with our wedge fitting philosophy, using the same shaft as your irons improves consistency. Unless you’re a feel player with wedges, the same shaft weight and flex has proven time and time again to reduce shot dispersion. Hovland slightly softens his shaft for his 60-degree wedge; logical given his broad utilization of his lob wedge. Learn how to select the correct wedge shaft.
- Putter: Ping PLD DS 72 prototype
Hovland’s performance on the greens was very good. Ranked 3rd in putts per GIR and 5th in strokes gained: putting; his -9 under (61) final round rocked the tournament. Coming into this tournament, Hovland was ranked 61st in Strokes Gained: Putting.