WITB for Sahith Theegala, 2023 Fortinet Championship winner? It’s PING from head to toe, but it was his PING Blueprint S irons, PING Glide 4.0 wedges, and PING Anser 2 putter that is worth mentioning. Reason being, Theegala only hit 47% of fairways this week – normal for him. But, he hit 75% of greens in regulation.
By the numbers, Theegala was 2nd in Strokes Gained: Putting, 1st in Putts per GIR, and 3rd in Strokes Gained: Around the Green. As reported by Paul Hodowanic, PGA Tour reporter, “Theegala stays true to himself in maiden victory.” This win marks Theegala’s first win on Tour in just his second year, excluding his team win at the 2022 QBE Shootout.
Winning WITB for Sahith Theegala, 2023 Fortinet Championship
- Driver: Ping G430 LST 10.5 degrees with a Project X HZRDUS Black 60 TX shaft. The Project X HZRDUS Black shaft, now Gen 4, is one of the most reliable and popular shafts with Tour players and amateurs. Read our original Project X HZRDUS Black shafts review.
- Fairways: Ping G430 Max 18 degrees 5-wood with a Graphite Design Tour AD DI 8 TX shaft. Graphite Design Tour AD shafts come in a wide variety of options. It can be difficult to choose which one is right for your swing, read our guide to choosing the right Graphite Design Tour AD shaft. Or, schedule a wood fitting to perfectly fit the right shaft to your swing.
- Irons: A Ping i210 3-iron with a Graphite Design Tour AD DI Hybrid 85 X shaft. Ping Blueprint S 4-iron through PW with Project X 6.5 shafts.
- Wedges: Ping Glide 4.0 50- degree wedge with the same shaft in his irons, the Project X 6.5 shaft. Plus a Ping Glide 4.0 54-degree and Ping Glide 2.0 58-degree wedge with True Temper Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400 shafts.
The Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400 shaft weighs 132 grams whereas the Project X 6.5 shaft weighs 125 grams. Players who like more feel around the greens can benefit from a slightly heavier shaft, but maintaining the swing weight and flex consistency is critical. Discover the optimal shaft for your wedges and wedge swing and tighten your shot dispersion with attack shots.
- Putter: Ping TR 1966 Anser 2 prototype
You too can hit 75% GIR
Three keys takeaways from Theegala’s win – 1) lowest putts per GIR, 2) excellent chipping around the greens, and 3) 75% of greens in regulation. Hitting more greens in regulation is critical for most amateur golfers to lower their scores. Read the 3 Keys to Hitting More Greens in Regulation (GIR).
But, in order to do so, every golfer needs reliable, consistent irons and wedges. Getting your irons from a big box retailer means you’re getting “off-the-shelf” shafts. The club build is mass production and results in significant flex variability from club to club. That variability directly translates to increased shot dispersion left to right and short to long.
Reduce your iron and wedge shot dispersion by as much as 50% with a custom fitting and expert club build. Fit clubs to your swing, not the other way around.