WITB for Rory McIlroy, 2023 Genesis Scottish Open champion and 2nd win of the 2022-23 season. His new bag showcases a number of changes since his winning bag at the 2022 CJ Cup in October, 2022. Some are generational changes – ex. TaylorMade Stealth 2 Plus for Stealth Plus. And some are conditional – ex. replacing his Rors Proto 3- and 4-iron with the P760 2-iron and 4-iron for added forgiveness. This time, his long-irons (5-, 4- and 2-irons) were spot on! As Rory said ”The two iron shots I hit… are two of the best iron shots I can remember hitting.”
Rory, like many other tour pros, is more often playing a combo set of irons. The benefit is gaining forgiveness, control and lower CG in the long irons. Depending on the course, Rory’s often spotted interchanging the P-760 and his Rors Proto 3- and 4-iron.
Winning WITB: Rory McIlroy, 2023 Genesis Scottish Open champion
With the help of PGA Tour, GolfWRX, and TaylorMade, we take a close look at McIlroy’s winning equipment. Learn more about adjustments from his last winning set including combo irons. But, top-to-bottom, Rory is TaylorMade through and through.
- Driver: TaylorMade Stealth 2 Plus 9-degree with a Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 6 X shaft.
- Fairways: TaylorMade Stealth 2 Plus 15-degree 3-wood with a Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 8 X shaft.
Rory added Stealth 2 woods early in 2023, first reported at the Genesis Invitational. Despite finishing 29th at the Genesis Invitational, Rory has carried his Stealth 2 Plus driver, 3-wood and 5-wood to 3rd in FedEx points and 9 top-10 finishes in 2022-23. He’s also 1st in Driving Distance and 2nd in Strokes Gained off the tee.
- Irons: TaylorMade P-760 2-iron with a 105-gram True Temper Project X Black HZRDUS 6.5 hybrid shaft. A TaylorMade P-760 4-iron with a Project X 7.0 shaft. And TaylorMade Rors Proto 5-iron through 9-iron with matching Project X 7.0 shafts.
Rory’s custom “Rors Proto” irons are based on the new P7-TW irons, part of the newly released P-series irons in December 2022. TaylorMade’s new P-Series pack an updated look, updated material composition and new tech. McIlroy-guided subtle changes yield big performance gains for the new P-770, P-7MC and P-7MB. The P-760 irons are unique in their design but feature the same materials and construction as the new P-7MC and P-770 irons.
- Wedges: TaylorMade MG3 46-degree and NEW tour only release TaylorMade MG4 50-, 54-, and 60-degree wedges with the True Temper Project X 6.5 shafts.
Notably, the TaylorMade MG4 wedges are tour release only (not yet available), but look identical to the MG3 wedges. We’re expecting to see the MG4 wedges release in the fall 2023.
- Putter: TaylorMade Spider X Hydro Blast.