WITB for Brooks Koepka, 2023 PGA Championship winner, securing his 5th major PGA Tour title. Starting with a 1-shot lead Sunday, Koepka quickly pulled ahead with three birdies in the first four holes. Victor Hovland gave chase all day, staying 1 back until a bunker disaster on 16. One shot turned into a 3 stroke swing and a coast to victory for Koepka. We’re happy to see Koepka winning with his set of Srixon ZX5 driver and ZX7 irons.
Winning WITB: Brooks Koepka, 2023 PGA Championship
Top of the Bag
- Driver: Srixon ZX5 LS Mk II 10.5-degree with a Mitsubishi Diamana D Limited 70 TX shaft.
Brooks is definitely an aggressive player, with driver swing speeds around 120 mph and top 20 on tour. With these swing speeds, the Srixon ZX5 LS Mk II driver sets up very well. With the narrow, tough course setup at Oak Hill, hitting fairways was paramount to score. If you’re not hitting at least 50% of fairways, it’s time to get the right head and shaft combo for you.
- Fairways: TaylorMade M2 Tour HL 3-wood 16.5-degrees with a Mitsubishi Diamana D+ 80 TX shaft.
Originally released in early 2016, it is surprising to see Koepka playing with a 7-year old fairway wood. Especially when top tour players are constantly handed new equipment. It might be an old faithful for Brooks. But, if you’re asking yourself how long do clubs and shafts last – it has a lot to do with rounds played. A 7- to 10- year lifecycle for fairways isn’t unheard of because they’re played less. Irons on the other hand, especially short irons are another story.
Irons & Wedges
- Irons: Nike Vapor Pro 3-iron with the Fujikura Pro Tour Spec 95 X hybrid shaft. Plus a set of Srixon ZX7 Mk II 4-iron through 9-iron with the True Temper Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100 shafts.
We had a chance to hit the ZX5, ZX7 and ZX4 irons and wow were we impressed. A players iron, the ZX7 Mk II irons provide more forgiveness with the feel of a blade, ideal for low-handicap players that desire more workability.
- Wedges: A Cleveland RTX ZipCore Tour Rack Raw 46-degree and the RTX6 ZipCore Tour Rack 52-, 56-, and 60-degree wedges with the True Temper Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400 shafts.
- Putter: Scotty Cameron Teryllium TNP2