WITB: Matt Fitzpatrick, 2023 RBC Heritage champion, held off Jordan Spieth and his two lip-out putts. And, Fitzpatrick’s 9-iron approach on the 3rd hole of the playoffs was, in one word, clutch. Fitzpatrick’s bag is a bit unconventional compared to other pros, combining Titleist and Ping throughout his bag. His one change since his 2022 U.S. Open win, was an upgrade to the Ping G430 3-wood.
WITB: Matt Fitzpatrick Winning Equipment at the 2023 RBC Heritage
Top of the Bag
- Driver: Titleist TSi3 9-degree with a Mitsubishi Tensei AV Raw Orange 65 TX shaft.
- Fairways: Ping G430 MAX 15-degree 3-wood with a Mitsubishi Tensei AV Raw Orange 75 TX shaft. Plus, Ping G410 20.5-degree 7-wood with a Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro Orange 80 TX shaft.
The only change in the top of Fitzpatrick’s bag was his move to the Ping G430 Max 3-wood from the G425 Max. The G425 Max was used to secure Matt’s U.S. Open win in 2022 – read the WITB. Surprisingly, Fitzpatrick, unlike most Tour pros, has yet to switch to the new Titleist TSR Drivers. The TSR Series, compared to the TSi Series, boosts distance from faster club head speed and improved smash factor. And, the TSRs pack more forgiveness with toe-to-heel MOI improvements. Read TSR Driver Review.
Irons & Wedges
- Irons: Ping i210 4-iron with a Ping CFS X (115G) shaft. Plus, Ping S55 5-iron through PW with the Ping CFS X (115G) shafts.
- Wedges: Titleist Vokey Design SM9 52-degree with the True Temper Dynamic Gold 120-gram X100 shaft. The Titleist Vokey Design SM9 56-degree and WedgeWorks 60-degree with the True Temper Dynamic Gold Tour Issue shafts.
The mix of shafts throughout Matt’s wedges is also unconventional, but typical for a tour player. We recommend shaft consistency with irons to maximize consistency through the wedges. “Feel” players will often soften the flex in the wedges to create more feel. Matt actually steps his shaft weight up from 115-gram iron shafts to a 120-gram gap wedge shaft to a 130-gram shaft in his 56- and 60-degree wedges. Because our recommendation is to make all wedges the same length, higher lofted wedges from 54 degrees up will feel heavier because the heads are heavier than say a PW or AW.
- Putter: Bettinardi BB1 Fitz
If you haven’t experienced the Bettinardi line of putters, you’re missing out on buttery-nice feel. A premium family of putters with superior craftsmanship, Bettinardi putters have been said to rival Scotty Cameron putters. Considering a new putter and ready to cut strokes on the green, come in for an expert putter fitting. We’ll help you get your putter weight right, get you squaring your face, and put the RIGHT putter in your hands.