WITB: Corey Conners, 2023 Valero Texas Open Champion, loves TPC San Antonio. Just his second win on Tour, both coming at the Valero Texas Open – the first in 2019, the second 2023. Finishing -15 under par, did it in solid fashion with a bogey-free Sunday. His equipment – Ping with the G430 driver, G425 3-wood, G430 hybrid, iBlade irons, Glide 4.0 wedges and PLD Anser 2 putter.
WITB for Corey Conners at the 2023 Valero Texas Open
With insights from PGA Tour, Ping and GolfWRX, here is the details behind Corey’s winning set of Ping drivers, fairways, hybrids, irons, wedges and putters.
- Driver: Ping G430 LST 9-degree with a UST Mamiya Elements LIN-Q M40X 6F5 shaft.
- Fairways: Ping G425 LST 14.5-degree 3-wood with the Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black Prototype 75 6.5 shaft. Notably, Ping reports Corey playing the G430 MAX 3-wood.
- Hybrid: Ping G430 19-degree hybrid with a UST VTS Red Hybrid 85X shaft. Notably, Ping reports Corey playing the G425 3H Hybrid.
This marks another big win for Ping and the new G430 series of woods. Delivering more accurate and longer distances, the new woods deploy face-flexing to gain distance. Drivers feature new flight and spin options that demand an accurate pairing with the right shaft. The fairways and hybrids also feature higher ball flight from CG (center of gravity) adjustments.
- Irons: The Ping prototype 4-iron with the True Temper Project X 6.0 shaft. And, Ping iBlade 5-iron through PW with the True Temper Project X 6.0 shafts.
- Wedges: Ping Glide 4.0 50- and 56-degree wedges with the True Temper Project X 6.0 shaft. Plus, a Titleist Vokey Design SM8 60-degree lob wedge with the True Temper Project X 6.0 shaft.
Corey Conners follows with traditional and recommend shafting for wedges – use the same shaft in your wedges as irons. Maintaining the proper flex and swing weight directly results in creating more consistency through the attack part of your bag. Instead of trusting the stock shaft in your wedge, custom building your wedges with the right shaft boosts confidence where you need it.
- Putter: Ping PLD Anser 2 prototype