WITB for Collin Morikawa, 2023 ZOZO Championship winner and securing his first win since 2021. Collin is still playing a mixed set of TaylorMade driver, fairways, irons, wedges and putter. The only notable changes are his switch to the Stealth 2 5-wood and adoption of the new MG4 wedges. Unique to Collin, his combo set of iron spans 3 models – P-770 4-iron, P-7MC 5- and 6-iron, and P-7CM 7-iron through PW.
Although Collin faltered on round 2 after his opening round 64 (-6 under), he returned to form shooting 66 and a final round 63 (-7 under). Trailing to Justin Suh by two going into the final round, Suh’s falter and Morikawa’s quick start put Morikawa back into the lead. And while he wasn’t accurate off the tee, he made up for it attacking the greens. Collin has always be known as an incredible ball striker, but his stats prove it. Hitting 74% of greens in regulation, Collin dropped 24 birdies through the four days. He averaged just 1.6 putts per GIR; 2nd for the tourney. It is a true testament to having your irons, wedges and putter dialed in.
Winning WITB for Collin Morikawa, 2023 ZOZO Championship
- Driver: TaylorMade SIM 8 degrees with a Mitsubishi Diamana D+ Limited 60 TX shaft. He averaged 324 yards with his driver. And hitting only 36% of fairways, even on the narrow Accordia Golf Narashino Country Club track, we’d tell Collin it’s time for a driver fitting.
- Fairways. Collin chose to play his TaylorMade SIM Rocket 3 14-degree 3-wood with a Mitsubishi Diamana D+ Limited 80 TX shaft. He’s waffled between SIM models for years. New to his bag this year, Collin also plays a TaylorMade Stealth 2 18-degree 5-wood with a matching Mitsubishi Diamana D+ Limited 80 TX shaft.
- Irons: Collin was one of the first big names to adopt combo iron sets and it’s unique. TaylorMade P-770 4-iron with the True Temper Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100 shaft. Then, the P-7MC 5- and 6-irons with the same X100 shafts. And finally, his custom P-7CM 7-iron through PW, also with the X100 shafts.
- Wedges: TaylorMade MG4 50- and 56-degree and a TaylorMade MG4 TW 60-degree for wedges. In all wedges, Collin plays the True Temper Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400. The S400 shafts are slightly softer with a very similar weight to the X100. Players opting for the S400 in their wedge shafts benefit from a higher launch and more spin than the X100.
- Putter: TaylorMade TP Soto. The TP Soto is very similar to the TP Juno Morikawa was playing in 2021, having the same 35 of toe hang.
Custom Fit Combo Iron Sets
One of the great benefits of a custom fitting at D’Lance Golf is that we’re brand agnostic and we’re club head agnostic. We’ve fit thousands of combo iron sets helping players find the optimal mix for precision, distance and accuracy. And, most importantly, a consistent feel as you hit every iron in your bag. For Morikawa, the P-770, P-7MC and P-7CM all have a similar topline and setup. While the P-770 has more offset, it instills confidence hitting the 4-iron. Don’t guess, get custom fit for your next combo set of irons.